Friday, September 4, 2009

6/8/09 - Let the Sun Shine In!

Well, this has been a crazy awesome few days. :-) I'm sorry first of all if you've asked me for details about things and I've been like "oh, I'll tell you later" and then haven't. It's just been a whirlwind lately, and today has been my first kind of "chill" day... probably because i haven't gotten very much of the work I intended to accomplish done today. Haha! I will though, don't worry.

So, lets see, when did I last write? mmm, well, Thursday morning I got up and went to Times Square. I happened across an article on, like, Broadway World or something that said that for the first time ever the Tony's were selling "student rush" tickets for the show. Student rush tickets, fyi, are usually sold right before shows for a discounted price, and only for students. It's a pretty sweet deal, and the only reason I'm getting to see any shows while I'm here haha. But, the Tony's did a lottery for the chance to buy them. So the first 200 people in line at the Times Square information center got to put their names in a bucket, and at 3 o'clock they drew about 25 names. Mind you, they didn't tell us how many tickets they were offering, which made it so much more nerve-racking! But, I stood in line for a bit (they let us in early thankfully!) and put my name in. I met some nice people in line, particularly Chad and Allie, who were super cool. :-) So we all came back later (including this really creepy old guy, ick! Like, dude, it’s a STUDENT rush. lol), the people from Rock of Ages (they were annoying) drew names… and I was one of them!!!! Ahhh, I was soo soo sooooooo excited! So, I paid my $40 dollars (great deal, the tickets are really super expensive) and got my ticket. 3rd mezzanine, 3rd aisle, seat 305. It was awesome!

Friday was super icky, so I didn’t do much. By about 10 I was in and watching a movie, lol. Saturday I got up in the, er, afternoon and went on a quest to find a dress for the Tony’s (because it was a black tie affair), just in case the dress my mom overnighted me didn’t arrive. Geez, I went through, like, the whole city and didn’t find a single thing that wasn’t ridiculously expensive until I got to my last two stops Macy’s and Lord and Taylor. At Macy’s I found a great dress, all black and slinky, and at Lord and Taylor’s I found a wrap to go with it. and the dress was only 39.99, because apparently if a dress is made in a junior’s size, it drops the price almost $200. :-) So, after that I was set.. Then I went home, walked in on my roommate in her bed with some guy, no big deal. haha, omg it was sooo mortifying!!! Seriously, it was the most awkward thing that has ever happened to me, ever! So I went and got Chinese food and went to the common area to watch tv. After a bit John, Byron, and I went to the movies to see The Hangover (soooo freaking hilarious!) and, yeah, then it was Sunday. :-)

So, gah, these always end up sooo long! I’m sorry, I’m used to journaling for myself. I’ll try to make them shorter for real after this one. haha.

Anyway, Sunday I went to church and to brunch afterwards with a few people which was really great! I’ve met sooo many cool people here, and the people from Upper West Manhattan Church of Christ are all really really nice. After brunch, though, I went home and got ready for the Tony’s! The doors opened at 6 and you had to be in your seats by 7 (unless you were rich, apparently. haha) so i caught a taxi around 6 o’clock (I was of course running late. When I got to Radio City Music Hall (!!!) I wandered over to where the red carpet was, but I didn’t try to get close because there was a line to get in. So, I went and stood in the line, and every tourist that walked past me stared at me as though I might be someone famous. lol. The line took about 20 minutes, which was fine because I got to stare at all the people around. Some of the outfits I saw were ridiculous. One girl was wearing a pink nylon wig. Really? Is that black tie to you? lol. When I finally got in the security people said no photography was allowed in the hall, which I promptly ignored. It was sooo beautiful in there, and there were about a million people in the lobby and in line for drinks. I wandered up, and up… and up to my seat (haha, it really wasn’t that bad.).

The show itself was amazing. Before the telecast, they presented the “creative arts awards,” and that part was hosted by two actors. they were really funny though, and Billy Elliot won like 6 of the awards. It was a little ridiculous lol. And right before the show there was a short clip of “rules for the audience” about when to clap and how to accept your awards and when to use the lighters they gave you.. The opening number was amazing, although I heard there were some difficulties for the tv version. That’s sad, because it was blow-your-mind awesome from our seats. Especially when the guy from Poison got knocked over by the backdrop. hehe. But, the rest of the show was just as incredible, all of the performances were great. (gotta love the Wicked shout out from the Shrek scene. lol). I really wanted Next to Normal to win best musical, but it went to Elton and the Billy’s. haha. During commercial breaks there were some commercials for coming shows (Spiderman? The Adaams Family? Really?) and for past shows (Timbuktu and Hair! hehe), plus NPH did some magic tricks for us. haha.. And a Russian guy gave away watches, but only to the rich people, which seemed a little pointless. haha. And a disembodied voice would say “we need 5 seconds of clapping, now.” before the show returned. lol. Oh, and Neil Patrick Harris rocked the last song! hahaha. I wonder how many versions of those they wrote ahead of time? Check out the video if you missed it before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYjSwbte3G4

After the show I fought my way downstairs and saw my favorite Billy (the one with curly hair!).I told him I liked his shoes, red converse, and that he was great. he said “thank you very much.” Very polite, haha. Then I saw Yasmina Reza and told her how awesome I think her plays are. :-) And I saw Constantine from Rock of Ages (and American Idol, best season ever. haha) and said how good I thought he was… and he said I looked pretty. yay! lol. So, after that I wandered out of Radio City Music hall and ran into Chad from the student rush line. I ended up tagging along with him and Allie and some of their super cool friends to attempt to get into some after parties. We finally decided to try the Hair party, thinking we might just blend in with the young cast. But when we got to Tavern at the Green (recognize that Gossip Girl fans?) they were totally lame at the door and insisting we had tickets. So, we hovered for a little while, but eventually we (me plus a few other people. really them plus me, haha) just went to McDonalds at Times Square and got Mcflurry’s. haha!

All in all it was a completely ballin’ night! I’m pretty sure my entire life is downhill from there. I haven’t done a list in a while, so I think I’ll do one now and then let you rest your poor eyes… if you read it all. ;-)

My favorite moments of the Tony Awards 2009. ;-)

  • every joke about the Hair cast being naked. Seriously, everyone made one. haha.
  • Karen Olivo’s speech when she won best featured actress. It made me cry, no lie.
  • the star power in general: Liza, Dolly, Angela. awesome. :-)
  • after party: seeing Bette Midler. awesome
  • “after party” - “look they jut got back from prom”
  • Billy Elliot: holy crap those kids can dance!!!
  • Aaron Tveit (from Next to Normal) and the guy from Guys and Dolls (I don’t know his name, lol) – the two best voices I heard there!!!!!!!!!! soo good!
  • Kristen Chenoweth, Lauren Graham, and Audra McDonald… three women I absolutely love!! They were there. haha.
  • did I mention the closing song?
  • or the guy getting knocked down by the drop? lol
  • just being blessed to get to be there when the lights dimmed.

Cliche, I know, but what do you expect?

“and suddenly I’m flying, flying like a bird. Like electricity, electricity sparks inside of me and I’m free!”

With love

<3

Shelli

No comments:

Post a Comment