Friday, September 4, 2009

6/3/09 - Ave Maria

My first week in New York has been absolutely amazing! Well, really first week and 1/2. I've already had some awesome experiences, and basically fallen even more in love with New York than I already was. "I've found heaven on earth...."
Anyway, like I said last Tuesday I really started the research project I'm working while I'm here. I feel like I've described it to everyone about a million times, but just in case people haven't quite gotten it yet, I'll do a brief recap. I'm working on a project called Psychology21C with some local psychologists, and it's basically a web-based project that intends to bridge the growing gap between modern technology and psychology: both as a study and as a part of everyday life. The doctors I work with are amazing, they basically let me and the other students (mostly graduate students, although one other undergrad from BU is working on it also) do what we want within the project. We each work on a specific project and they all come together for the future website. My project is about communication through modern technology and what can be considered effective within those mediums. I'm really excited about it, and hope to have the bulk of the work for the survey I'm working on finished by the time my 6 short weeks are up. But last Tuesday we all met and talked about our ideas and worked on general plans for the summer and for getting the site up and running. Our meetings are really interactive and collaborative, which is amazing. To my ends, I so far spend a lot of time reading other people's works and figuring out what has already been discovered about written communication and modern technologies (not much haha). I've been to the New York Public Library twice now and I LOVE it. haha, that's the one with the lions and its seriously the coolest place I've ever been. That could be because I love libraries so much, but it's definitely my favorite place in the city so far. lol.
Other than research (which, by the way, is mostly tedious work haha), I've had a lot of fun just wandering the city. Thursday I hung out with the doctor that basically got me this internship and her two children. We went to the Met (which was awesome, especially since I got in with her membership and got to save that $20), and to the Industrial Design museum. Ooh, and on the stairs of the Met there were real life private school girls, it was hilarious! First we went to Sarabeth's for brunch, across from Central Park, which was yummy. All in all, that was a great day, taking in some New York classics, including Grand Central Station. I bought fudge at the Grand Central Market haha. Oh, and her two kids were like the smartest kids you've ever met... probably because they're homeschooled... just sayin'. ;-)
Then Friday I got to have lunch with an old friend, Martin. He shared with me his glamorous tales as a future Broadway Star (no, seriously, look him up: Martin Landry. He's so so awesome), and made me incredibly jealous haha. Saturday I got to hang out with Kayla, who brought me delicious chocolate treats that she made. She's basically going to be a famous chef one day (she studies at the French Culinary Institute), and I'm working on inventing reasons for her to make me cakes (weddings, birthday's, etc.). We went a got Chinese food at a hole-in-the-wall joint in Chelsea and then went shopping for a bit. We went to the Family Jewels, a thrift store near the Chelsea Hotel (which neither of us understood the appeal of, btw) and had a blast looking through their clothes and patterns. We went on a grand quest for ice cream and then headed to our respective homes.
My nights last week, by the way, were filled with watching the NBA play-off's with some guys from my dorm. We would meet in the common area each night and watch the game, but Saturday we were beat to the chase by some hockey fans so we ended up going to a burger place and watching the game there (boo on the Cav's losing!). That was actually a lot of fun, despite the game itself, haha.
Sunday I went to the Upper West Manhattan Church of Christ for worship services. The congregation there was great, really friendly and diverse, and the lesson was a powerful one, all about having a relationship with God and how that relationship needs to be based on communication and trust and time invested, not on emotions. I really liked it there, and met some really nice people too.
Also, as a side note, like everyone there went to an Ivy League school. Why is everyone in this city smarter than me? haha.
and, yeah. This week has been pretty busy for me. Monday I worked really hard on my project, getting an outline of how I want it to go exactly. Then Tuesday we all met downtown to talk about the future of the project. After the meeting I went to Century 21 and was unimpressed (sorry Linnea!) so I went back to the flatiron district and shopped there instead. I actually bought something this time though, lol. Today I saw my first Broadway play (ahhhh, yay!!) Reason to be Pretty. I attempted to win the In the Heights lottery, but didn't (sadly) so I got student rush tickets to Reason instead. I really really liked it (the girl from Coyote Ugly was in it, Piper whatever...) but the rest of the audience didn't really seem to. I sat next to three young professional girls and they were really cool. One of them was apparently a reviewer and she was really angry with the management because they wouldn't let us move to the floor seats that were still empty when the show started. She said she was going to write them a terrible review because of that (or at least write terrible things about the management). But, yeah, I can totally see why it got nominated for Best Play. :-)
Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to win the chance to get tickets to the Tony's on Sunday. wish me luck! haha.
Sorry these are always so long. I just never find time to update, and when I do I want to say everything. I know, though, that people respond better to more frequent shorter updates (haha, thanks psych) so I'll try to do that from now on.
I love you all and hope everyone is having adventures of their own... hey, maybe you should start a blog?! ;-)
Oh, and by the way, you'll notice I haven't done much of the big touristy stuff yet. haha, I'm getting to it, I promise. But if you have any super awesome suggestions, leave 'em on my facebook (if we're already friends) or email me. It's a-okay to live vicariously through me!
With love
<3
Shelli

No comments:

Post a Comment