Friday, September 4, 2009

6/27/09 - I'll Be There

So, I just finished what I hope is the first draft of my communications survey, yay! And to celebrate, I thought I’d update my blog. haha. I know, you’re probably thinking ‘real cool way to spend Saturday night…’ Well, yeah, it is cool and also my bestest friend Kaley will be here to spend my last week in the city with me tomorrow, sooooo I’m resting in anticipation of our busy-ness. Plus, I really need to clean my room. lol.

But, anyway, okay I can’t start my blog without mentioning Michael Jackson. I was in Washington Square Park when my mom called me and told me that he was in the hospital and reportedly not breathing. Then a few minutes later she confirmed that he had passed away. I immediately did what everyone else in the park was doing, and started texting people to see if they knew. My poor mother was practically crying (she was quite in love with him when she was in, like, middle school so it’s understandable), and I myself was in shock. We are a Michael Jackson loving family, as anyone who’s been around my house at Christmas time and heard our constant “Jackson 5 Christmas Album” playing can vouch for. So we were all pretty sad. We’ll always remember the gift that Michael gave by entertaining, and how he really did change music. Just think, without Michael Jackson there would have been no boy bands. Sad, sad. But, seriously, his music was amazing and he’ll be missed. I’m just sad that his last several years were so complicated. And I think he definitely needed a better therapist during all of those times. :-/

:-( Before this week turned horribly sad though (Farrah Fawcett… never again will the world see such perfect hair. She was such a fighter though, till the end. very sad), I was relishing the amazing time I had with Tommy here. he was here from Thursday till Monday and although we had a minor (or major, whatever) fiasco at the beginning of the trip, it all worked out and he arrived at Newark airport around 8:30. We did a lot of awesome things and I won’t bore you with every detail of his visit, lol, however I willl make a list. Surprised? lol

So, without further adieu (haha) top moments of Tommy’s visit to Manhattan. hehe.

  • Dessert at Serendipity3. Sadly there were not celebrities there that night, but it was still ridiculously awesome. I think it was called Broadway… something. haha. But it was like chocolate cake and ice cream and chocolate sauce but it was like the perfect combination of everything and… you’ll just have to taste it. haha. I loved Serendipity3 anyway, it was adorable. It looked the way that I would imagine my mom’s attic looking if my dad had no say. ;-)
  • Riding the Staten Island ferry. Sounds lame, yeah, but it was pretty cool. Great view of the city and it was free so win-win.
  • The Museum of Natural History. The dinosaurs are legit even though my nerd boyfriend informed me that all of them except the one in the case are fake. Like, how do they know that they really look that way then? Annoying. I saw many things that reminded me of an Apologetics Press pamphlet. Kyle Butt would have been proud. haha! Anyway, it was cool.
  • Seeing the clock chime noon at the zoo in Central Park! Tommy didn’t think it as nearly as cool as I did, but it was soo cute. :-) And just Central Park in general. It really is awesome.
  • Lunch at Big Nick’s. Okay, so Nick’s is this hole in the wall joint on the upper west side, and the menu rivaled Cheesecake Factory’s. The food was really good and huge portions, but the best part was our server. She was a lady that look about 55 and rocked black heels (she’s a stronger woman than I am) with false eyelashes and a strong New York accent to boot. She was soo cool, haha. She kept coming by our table and saying (you’ll have to imagine my imitation of her accent) ‘you’re not ready? There’s a lot there, take your time Ill come back…” :-)
  • F.A.O. Schwarz. Tom Hanks would have been proud of Tommy’s performance on the Big Piano. And the Lego statues there are a million times cooler than the ones at Toys R Us.
  • wandering in the Village. We ended up at the Hudson river, after checking out Bleeker Street Records and walking past places like Cafe Wha? I love the village (as I’m sure you’ve figured out) and that was maybe my favorite part of Tommy’s visit. We also dropped into a random French pastry shop with a tiny old lady who rambled about the pastries at about a mile a minute and served us the best sweets I’ve had yet in the city. yum.
  • Campbell’s Apartment. A pseudo speak easy at grand central station. It was very very cool, with dimmed lighting and faint sophisticated chatter. Someone very rich was having a wedding party there and we just chilled there with them all. haha.
  • Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Okay, well we only went about 1/2 way across, but it was still gorgeous. It started to rain while we were there (cause it rains all the time in New York. haha) and there was a fog over the city and it was just… really really awesome. One of the perfect moments of my time here. :-)

So, yeah. This time next week I’ll be back in Clay, Alabama. I’m have very mixed emotions about that. lol. Thankfully, I’ll leave right after that for my favorite place in the world, Maywood!! and I’ll be able to keep working on Psychology21C while I’m home. I’ll be fine.

Kaley arrives tomorrow. Yay! I WILL see Hair before I leave if it kills me. ughhhh. haha. and I’m auditioning for The Color Purple on Monday so wish me well. Also, I’ve been trying to upload my pictures from my whirlwind day on yesterday (which I will write about… later. possibly tomorrow. haha) for about 24 hours straight on facebook and have failed each time. Sooo what’s up with that? Could be because the internet connection sucks in this building (the downside to staying in a rustic old hotel) or because of all the middle aged people cluttering up facebook. Either way, it’s annoying. But soon enough the pictures will be there. :-)

<3

With love,

Shelli

No comments:

Post a Comment