Friday, September 4, 2009

6/24/09 - Another Rainy Day in New York

I think I’m suffering from seasonal depression disorder. :-( I’m used to 100 degree summers, not rainy, cloudy days. I knew everyone was lying that said that it go hot here in the summer. It hasn’t been over 79 degrees since I got here.

Even still, I’m dreading the day that I leave. 6 weeks seems like a long time, but its really not long enough. Now I’m definitely sure I want to live here, and I’m counting down to graduation and saving every penny I make to pay for a crappy apartment in Manhattan when I do. lol. Seriously though. People keep saying that New York is a nice place to visit, but not to live. I one hundred percent disagree with that. I think visiting New York would be miserable. Because what I love about New York isn’t the attractions (although the museums are awesome) or the crowds or the movie shootings or the tall buildings. I love the fact that there’s always something new to discover, from block to block and neighborhood to neighborhood. I love the sweet little old French ladies who run the pastry shops and the foul mouthed ones that pass you on their bicycles. I love the various styles on different people and the fact that people don’t pretend to like you when they don’t. I love the lack of confederate flags and constant smell of pretzels and roasted nuts in the air. I do love the theater, but not just Broadway, the off beat stuff too. And the jazz trios that play in Washington Square park, and how people grudgingly put up with the tourists. I love how the fog rolls over the city from the river and how the city always seems cleaner after the rain… and yet not quite clean enough. I love how the man at the bagel shop knew my order after two trips and how when celebrities do walk by, it’s not a huge deal and they just get to live their lives (not that I ever see any good celebrities lol). I love how you can pretty much wear whatever you want and no one looks at you twice. And how there are super trendy places complete with techno music and multicolored space age booths, but around the corner there are comforting diners with jukeboxes. For me, New York can be anything I want it to be, and that’s just something you don’t get many other places. Its exhilarating and inspiring and I just know that I can be one of those people who make it. Hopefully I won’t have to do it alone… but I can.

So, yeah. Only about a year and 10 months (oh, and hopefully at least one acceptance letter to a graduate program in the city) till I can pack up and begin to call myself a real New Yorker. :-) Meanwhile, I’m just going to try to enjoy my last bit of time here for now… Kaley will be here in 4 days to stay with me until I leave. yay!

Oh, and don’t think that I just hate Alabama. Let’s face it, I was never meant to be there in the first place lol. Even the people I’ve met here think that I fit in wonderfully in the city. I will miss southern accents and sweet tea and Sonic. :-)

Okay. I’ll write about my wonderful weekend with my wonderful boyfriend… later. haha, this is turning into my journal already! Oooh, two more things. 1) Got a new camera today, and its boss. I mean, okay, it’s basically my old camera, just newer. But I’m still psyched. haha. and 2) TRANSFORMERS 2: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN. Tonight. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, just cause I’m in New York doesn’t mean I’m not still movie obsessed. I do miss seeing them with a certain boy though… ;-)

<3

With love,

Shelli

No comments:

Post a Comment