Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Grown-Up Christmas List...

Sort of. I love that song, and I love any and all simple idealistic wishes for peace on earth and goodwill towards men. More than that, I love when people make real actual efforts to promote peace and are good to other men. But that's neither here nor there. This is a different kind of list.

Top 10 Christmas movies.

I love Christmas. It's my second favorite holiday, and I am pretty obsessed with it. I buy tons of gifts and decorate my apartment as though it's the white house or something. :-) Buttttt what I really love are Christmas movies. So without further ado, my top 10 list.


  • 10) I'll Be Home for Christmas: Jonathan Taylor Thomas (aka everyone my age's childhood crush) is a privileged little jerk that travels across the country to try to win the affections of Jessica Biel (before Justin). Best scene: when the trucker woos his waitress lover. "Oh Marjorie! Oh baby, oh baby, oh baby!"
  • 9) Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas. One of very few sequels I think Disney got right. Except, of course, it's not so much a sequel as a "between"-cle. Anyway, Belle discovers the angry organ and teaches him and the Beast (and the rest of the castle) the Magic of Christmas. Best scene: "As long as there's Christmas, I truly believe that hope is the greatest of the gifts we receive..." great song. Further proof that Belle is the best Disney princess ever. Plus fun new Piccolo character. hehe. One negative: Computer animation for the organ. creepy.
  • 8) Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. Yes, I chose 2 and not the original one. Both are amazing. I'm just partial to New York. I love the Plaza and the whole ordeal with the house and the ridiculous coincidence that the same creepers from the first movie happen to be in NYC at the same time Kevin is there. Best scene: the pigeon woman and her love of the opera. Priceless, and so moving. negative: nothing quite as funny as the brother in the first movie "One... b... and 4." plus no Carol of the Bells.
  • 7) A Christmas Carol (with Patrick Stewart): I just love a Christmas Carol (although not as much as my mother, who owns 4 versions of the movie, and watches at least 9 every year), and this one is the most classic to me. Clearly Patrick Stewart is the best Scrooge ever and of course the story is the ultimate Christmas moral: don't be greedy or a creepy dementor looking thingie will threaten your life. Best scene: "Are there no jails and poorhouses?" "Some would rather die than go to those places" "Well, if they're going to die, they better go ahead and do it and decrease the surplus population." Oooooh.
  • 6) Elf: Some people don't like Will Ferrell. They suck, I love Will Ferrell. and this is my 2nd favorite Will Ferrell role (after Stranger than Fiction). So funny, and featuring the lovely Zooey Deschanel. Another wonderful Christmas moral, and lots of hilarious one liners. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear. I definitely believe that. :-) Best scene: tie between when he runs into the lockers in the bathroom (haha) and the Santa encounter.
  • 5) Miracle on 34th Street (1990's version). I'm a sucker for Mara Wilson (whatever happened to her?), and for the American court system. And the guy from the Practice. Best Scene: the proposal and unseen marriage. I'm a romantic.
  • 4) It's a Wonderful Life: If you don't love this movie, you haven't seen it. Every time I watch it, I cry. Jimmy Stewart is amazing, and the entire story is just so classic. Best scene: Of course, "every time a bell rings, and angel gets its wings." I totally believe that.
  • 3) Christmas Vacation: So so so so funny. There's a reason it's on everyone's list of favorite Christmas movies. Chevy Chase at his best, for sure. Best scene: the rant after Chevy Chase's breakdown. One day I'm going to learn it by heart. For now, I'm just going to laugh during it. haha!
  • 2) A Christmas Story: Ralphie!! It's like the Wonder Years, but longer and cruder. Well, it has a voiceover like the Wonder Years. Plus the boy from Toy. "He had yellow eyes!" hehe. If you haven't seen this one, then you need to stop whatever you're doing and watch it. Immediately. Best scene: meeting Santa. or Christmas dinner. Or the f dash dash dash word. Or the tongue to the pole. Or the whole movie. Whichever.
  • 1) A Muppet Christmas Carol. BEST. MOVIE. EVER. It has everything. Kermit as Cratchit. Gonzo narrating. Rizzo the rat. Michael Caine. and singing. Soooo good. Plus my favorite Christmas tale, as I've already said. Best scene: could never choose. Buuuut I really like the sad song that randomly shows up in the middle. "And yes, some dreams come true, and yes some dreams fall through."
That was too sad to end on.

"It's true that Christmas has never put a penny in my pocket, but I believe it has done me good and will do me good, and I say God bless it!"

With love
<3
Shelli

No comments:

Post a Comment